Cappies Critic Team Information
What is Cappies?
● The Cappies is an international program for recognizing, celebrating, and providing learning experiences for high school theater and journalism students and teenage playwrights.
● Basically the Tony Awards but for High School Theatre.
How do I apply?
● Fill out the application form here.
● Included on the form is space to write a one-page review of a play, musical, or even movie that you have recently seen.
● Make sure to include the performance (acting, singing, and dancing) and tech (lighting, sound, special FX, hair, and makeup) aspects of the show, as well as its strengths and weaknesses, throughout your review.
NOTE: Previously published Cappies Critic Team members do not need to reapply - just fill out the top portion of the form and return to Ms. Germanos.
What’s expected on the SPHS Cappies Critic Team?
● Although not a weekly commitment, every member is required to see at least 5 shows a year, so when we are scheduled to see a show, you are expected to be there with the team. (If you have a conflict, let Ms. G know immediately.)
● Shows are usually Friday nights, Saturday matinees and nights, and Sunday matinees.
● Parents should expect to help carpool team members to and/or from at least one show .
● Make sure to remain updated in whatever form of communication, GroupMe, iMessage, FaceBook, email, etc. the team uses to stay informed on important information needed.
● As this team represents Severna Park High School, put a solid amount of time and effort into each and every one of your reviews.
OCT 02 Applications Due
OCT 05 Critic Team Announced
TBD Critic Training Day
TBD Voting Day @ TBD School
TBD Cappies Gala at the Hippodrome
TBD Rehearsal at TBD School
Here are two of Severna Park’s published reviews as examples. Please do not copy these, as we want to see your writing.
If you have any questions, please ask Ms. Germanos. Good luck!